Should I hire a Lawyer when I buy or sell my house?

Legal services for a home purchase or a home sale are called “conveyancing”. Conveyancing involves preparing all the required documents and submitting them to the appropriate land registry (Land Titles), financial institution, and so forth.

Fees for conveyancing will range from $300 to $600, plus the costs paid to third parties, such registration fees to Land Titles,

costs of obtaining Strata documents, Title Insurance, and other documentation.

No matter which conveyancing office prepares your transfer documents, the third party costs will be the same and these costs are inevitable.

Now consider that your home may be your most significant asset! The fees for a professional conveyancing office to prepare your documents amount to approximately 0.1% of the value of your property. Most people agree that this is a worthwhile investment.

If you answer YES to any of the following items, you should hire a Lawyer to handle the property transfer:

1. Is there a chance that one of the parties may try to back out of the deal on short notice?

2. Are there provisions in place to protect me if there is a problem with the property  — and the deal has already closed?

3. Is the property being bought or sold with unrelated partners?

4. Is the property part of an estate sale or foreclosure?

5. Is there a home-owner’s association?

6. Is there anything unconventional about the property transfer (example: Seller is helping the Buyer obtain financing)?

If you need a Lawyer to take care of your conveyancing, the Deer Lake Law Group is ready to make the property transfer straightforward and stress-free for you, your Realtor and your Lender.