Travel Authorization Letters

Commonly called Travel Consent Forms or Travel Affidavits, the Travel Authorization Letter is a document that the non-traveling parent should provide to the parent that will be traveling with the child or children.

The Government of Canada strongly recommends that Canadian children carry a Travel Consent Letter if they are travelling with only one parent / guardian, with friends or relatives or with a group:

For the purposes of this Consent Letter, a Canadian child is defined as anyone who is under the age of majority (18 or 19, depending on the province or territory of residence). A Consent Letter is not a legal requirement in Canada, but it can simplify travel for Canadian children, as it may be requested by immigration authorities when entering or leaving a foreign country or by Canadian officials when re-entering Canada. The letter demonstrates that Canadian children have permission to travel abroad from parents or guardians who are not accompanying them. 


We further recommend that a Travel Consent Letter be executed by the non-travelling parent, and notarized by a Lawyer or Notary Public, particularly if there are special parenting arrangements in place, including separated or divorced parties.

For a Free Travel Authorization Letter, please call or email us. Deer Lake Law Group lawyers will notarize the Letters at no cost.